Pedestrian plazas are designated areas meant only for walking or cycling. This means that any type of motorized vehicle is not allowed in such areas. This is not a new idea, even though newer technologies have made it easy to apply designated markings on concrete surfacing to show that the area is meant only for walking and not for motor vehicles.
By making a designated area conducive for pedestrians only, there is a provision for better access and mobility to them. Such areas are found in shopping boulevards or museum areas, where a lot of people may walk to access retail stores or spots of historical importance, or even for entertainment.
Such designated pedestrian areas can ensure that the market value of the area increases. There are less noise and clutter due to the absence of motor vehicles. This also reduced the pollution in the environment and encourages people to take up the healthy habit of walking. Lesser cars also mean no accidents and better retail turnover.
It is important that all businesses relate to Pedestrianisation. This way the surrounding businesses won’t suffer losses, drive economic activity to other areas or lead to property devaluation. It is common to see wide avenues of connectivity like subways, buses, and highways so that the people can disembark and walk their way to the pedestrian zones. If you are planning to have a good trip then you must Bangkok in your list as Bangkok is one of the most beautiful travel destinations in the world.
Benefits of development of pedestrian zones
There are some great benefits of going for pedestrian zones.
- The vehicular density remains almost negligible. The motor vehicles are relegated to the periphery of the pedestrian zones. As a result, people can walk unobstructed without the worry of speeding vehicles coming in their way and causing dangerous accidents.
- The traffic on the road is very low. This ensures that pedestrians get more space to walk on. This increases foot traffic and casual strollers can easily walk around the area without any trouble for their safety
- This promotes the activity of walking. A person can look forward to a relaxing evening with his family members. A group of friends can stroll down the area having a fun-filled time. Health-conscious people can walk briskly and keep up with their exercise regimen. Pet-lovers can take their pets for a stroll every evening. Even cyclists can ride the bike without worrying about the dangers of confronting a motor vehicle.
- The best part is the children get an open space to roam around freely and play around with other children. It will be the best time they have after remaining confined to the closed spaces of schools and homes.
- There is no requirement to build dedicated parking spaces or have roads constructed around these areas. Thus, less land is taken for road development and more is left for maintaining ecological balance in the area.
- The low atmospheric emissions in the area mean better prospects for the greenery to survive and thrive. This also helps promote the development of green zones that act as the lungs for the area in processing CO2 emissions.
These benefits are the key reasons why the dedicated pedestrian zones with helpful signs, markings, and decorative aesthetics emerge as popular avenues for the entire family to spend a relaxing weekend.
Importance of markings and signs in pedestrian zones
Such pedestrian zones often sport vibrant colors and textures. The entire process of walking from one point to another becomes enjoyable with aesthetic markings and designs. It is not uncommon to see some intricate designs on pedestrian plaza and intersections. Also signs and markings are also applied in order to help in the navigation process or provide direction to the nearest landmarks like public transportation. This places immense importance on the right overlay and painting material to be used.
Endurablend is a widely used ultrathin concrete polymer that can be overlaid on paved concrete surfaces. The material has a 10-year track record for durability. Holding up to heavy traffic and extreme weather conditions, thus making it virtually maintenance free. The environment friendly material is considered safe and non-hazardous to people, animals or plants. So, if you plan to take your pet dog for a long walk, make sure to walk on surfaces that have the Endurablend applied.
However, it is important that a reliable expert like Pavement Surface Coatings is hired for the job. They have the resources to enable skilled work in bus lane road markings and buffered bike lane.